Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Invalidation

     So I'm feeling invalidated. I know I am not alone in this. You get people talking over you, interrupting you, or just flat out ignoring you. You feel like a doormat. You feel unappreciated. You don't feel like you really matter. It's not a nice feeling, that's for sure. And it's not like it only happens once every once in a while. No, that would be tolerable. It happens every single day, multiple times a day. It wears on you. It hurts. It's eroding your emotional and mental state of being until all that's left is a hollow shell of who you used to be. You get angry, and those who wronged you in the first place are blaming you for being angry at being used as a doormat. So you bottle it up and just deal with it the best way you know how: try to be invisible. SO you get home, and then what do you do with all that bottled up frustration? Nothing. What can you do? This, however, is not healthy.

     I can tell you some things that help me cope with this. At first, I would try to shove it down further and forget about it the best that I could. But that was just a disaster. Now, I step back, take a deep breath and look at it objectively. I ask myself questions to try to analyze the situation. I try to understand the other person better. Why does this person feel the need to speak over me, interrupt me, or just ignore me? Did I do something to trigger this? What are they going through? Granted, this doesn't always work, and I still feel angry and upset. Exercise has also helped me. I have also found that smudging my apartment does wonders to lift my mood.

     In the end, however, you really just need to find a way to get yourself safely out of that situation. That kind of mental and emotional beating wears on you after a while, and that's not good. Depression and anxiety may start to creep in. And those lead to whole messes of other problems that are a pain to get rid of. I also look at each situation I find myself in as a learning experience. What can be learned from this situation and my feelings? Ultimately, you have to do what's best for you.

     Much love to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment